The Retired Racehorse Project announced today that the Thoroughbred Makeover will return to the Kentucky Horse Park for its eighth year October 11th-14th, 2023.
With the start of training and the application period for the 2023 competition year swiftly approaching, the RRP is also announcing adjustments to the fees associated with the Makeover. The updated fee schedule is intended to better reflect the paperwork and processes that go into the Makeover throughout the year separate from the live event, and to address the rising costs of running the event. This is the first time the RRP has raised Thoroughbred Makeover fees since 2019.
Registration fees, which support the year-round administration associated with the event as it relates to the charitable mission of the RRP, will be billed at the time of trainer application submission. These fees will include two charges: a $200 trainer application fee which is charged once annually to each participating trainer, regardless of status (individual, team captain, or team member) or the number of horses with which they are associated. New for 2023, all accepted trainers will receive a free print subscription to Off-Track Thoroughbred Magazine.
The second charge is a $150 per horse registration fee, which will be billed to individual trainers or team captains as applicable based on the number of horses declared on their trainer application.
Trainer applications received after January 20th, 2023 will be placed on a wait list and will pay a $300 flat rate for trainers as described above, plus the $150 per horse the trainer intends to enter.
Entry fees are those associated with the live competition in October and billed at the time of final entry August 1st through 15th, will include the following changes:
- First discipline, including schooling and drug testing fees: $150 per horse
- Second discipline: $100 per horse
- Stalls (horses or tack, flat rate for the week): $225 per stall
- Ship-ins (no stall): $60 per horse
- Non-compete horse fee: $50 per horse
- ASPCA Makeover Marketplace listing per horse
- Standard: $60
- Featured: $95
- Premium: $110
Those considering applying for the 2023 Makeover should take note of upcoming key dates:
- Trainer Application Review Drafting Open: December 15th, 2022
- Trainer Application Submission and Horse Registration Open: January 2nd, 2023
- Trainer Application Close: January 20th, 2023 (horse registration remains open through July 28th, 2023)
- Trainer Acceptance Announcements: February 15th, 2023
These fees and paperwork deadlines, along with all other event policies and discipline formats, apply to the new former broodmare division the same as they do the original retiring racehorse division. Details on fees, deadlines, discipline formats, and event policies will be fully outlined in the Thoroughbred Makeover rulebook, which will be released in early December.